Reading List for January and February

In case you don't know, I love to read. Yes, it doesn't really show but I do. Heck, I have no choice; I've lived away from home (Laguna and Manila mostly) since I was 16 and I never stayed in a house with decent television.

That's right. For most of my adult life, I did and still do not watch TV (so sorry Mama if my TV marathon bothers you every time I'm home in Bicol, but that's the only time I can watch my favorite shows). Instead, I read. But, I have a confession. I was not born a bookworm. When I was a kid, we barely had any books at home and my biggest splurge when I was in grade school was a subscription with Salaguinto. I even had to beg Mama for the Php 190 annual subscription fee (because really, my older sister had a subscription and I got jealous, and I didn't want to be one of the few children in class who does not have it). That's how poor we were then; well, we are still poor now.

So, when I entered college in Laguna, good thing that my housemates were bookworms so there were a lot of books in the house from Descartes, Pinoy pocket books, Maive Binchy and those thick English pocket books. We had a wall of books in our house, would you believe it? And I think that this is the beginning of my appreciation for books.

But enough chatter, I'm really here to tell you about my reading goal for this year. You see, I had a "reading sabbatical" for the last year and a half. Instagram and Facebook has taken over my life, I'm so sorry brain. But this time, I made a vow to go back to reading and I started it off by making an account at goodreads.com to keep me on track. As of January 24, I read 1 book. My goal for this year is to read at least 30 books--that's at least 2 books a month. I am not off to a good start I know, but I'm still re-calibrating my pacing, okay?

My first book for the year, by the way is this:

Now, instead of making a review of the next 3 books, let me just tell you the story how I acquired them. Let's start off with this one. At the beginning of the year, I forced myself to watch Vikings on Netflix. Honestly, the show was on my list for the longest time but I just keep putting it off; but when I started watching it, damn, Ragnar Lothbrok is so dreamy! It triggered my fascination with Norse mythology and I vowed to myself that I will find a good book on this topic. I searched in NBS, but I did not find anything good. I was supposed to ask G to buy me at Amazon, until on my birthday weekend, I went to Festival mall to have my teeth X-ray and sitting quietly on a rack on a book stall in front of the food court is this! What a gem! I paid for it instantly and damn, this is the best birthday gift ever! 

Also, when I was updating my goodreads account, this book did not have a cover and when I googled for its book cover, it wasn't there. Turns out, my copy is a classic. From 1965 first edition. Huhu.. I'm never letting go of this book. 

I went to Booksale on a Wednesday and this masterpiece was just sitting there. After reading "Toni Morrison," I knew I had to have it, but unfortunately, I was short on cash because I ate heavy dinner 20 minutes before I went to the book shop. So, I concealed this baby in the shelf crossing my fingers that no one will find it until I return the following day. 

Thursday. With enough cash with me, I looked high and low for this but I can't seem to find it. I already looked 2x on the shelf, but I was not seeing it. With almost tears in my eyes, I asked for help from Kuya but he too was not able to find it. So, with 20% hope left in me, I told myself that I will do 1 last sweep before I accept the reality. Slowly, I swept the shelf one last time and lo and behold, it was at the same spot that I concealed it the other night. How was I so blind? I secretly scolded myself at that moment and let out a huge sigh of relief. Finally, my first Morrison! 

P.S. Damn, she's good. I am currently reading this and I have to read it slowly because she is so vivid! I never read books so thoroughly, but this one, Oh my!


Aimee Song of Song of Style is one of my favorite bloggers that's why when she launched this book, I asked G if  he could buy it for me. I think this is not yet available in Manila. Actually, I had another book in mind, but G insisted that it was kinda expensive (this one retails for less than $20) so he opted for this and his Mom brought it home during her Christmas holiday. This will be my next book after Beloved. 

So stranger, what are you reading today? If not, get a book girl and get lost inside. I don't have other books lined up but I really really really want Water for Chocolate. Its been on my list for literally at least 5 years now. Where do I find that elusive book? By the way, do you have other recommendations? I'm still looking for a book about Norse mythology, okay?

Photo credits:

Google and Aimee Song

Comments

  1. Glad that you're back on track. I myself have been neglecting my reading for about a month now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hay naku Kei... it's so hard to get back on track, especially that I have my phone back, but I'm trying super hard. By the way, do you have book recos?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Bite: Tagaytay Edition

First Freebie because of this Blog

Ten Things before 10